Archive | March 2015

Surgery

About 6 weeks ago, I made a phone call.  I had to leave a voicemail and the words that left my mouth started with “I’m calling to schedule my daughter’s surgery”.  I never thought that I would have to say those words.

On February 6, we had an appointment with her orthopedic doctor.  I’m not sure whether I was naive or optimistic or just simply ignorant.  Whatever the case – we were getting x-rays that would show us the “apples-to-apples” x-rays (standing to standing).  Previously, we had compared a sitting to standing x-ray.  Her curve (at standing) had gone to around 30%.  I honestly did not think it would be close to the 50%, which would be close to surgery range.

We had to wait two hours to see the Doctor, after having x-rays done at Hopkins.  His Physician’s Assistant said how her curve was very bad, but she wanted to wait until the Doctor measured her curve.

Unfortunately, her curve had gotten worse.  Much worse.  It’s at about 52% right now.  Does it hurt her?  Who knows.  I cannot begin to explain how it feels to not know if your child is in pain.  Especially your child that is about 5 1/2 years old.  She.  Cannot.  Tell.  Us.  She.  Is.  In.  Pain.

How am I supposed to do this?  She’s having surgery.  Her Doctor is going to cut “from her shoulder blades to her love handles”.  I have never had surgery before.  How can I let somebody cut my daughter?  Trust is the answer.  I don’t believe I would be as comfortable with this, if I didn’t have the confidence in her surgeon.

February 9, 2015 was the day that I called to schedule surgery.  On February 6, we were given this option.  We do surgery soon and Dr. can get her curve to around 15% after all is said and done.  If we were to wait, then final curve percentage would be around 25% or more.  I’m pretty sure within 24 hours, probably within 4 hours, we were ready to go forward with the surgery.

Surgery is scheduled to start at 11am on Wednesday, March 25.  She should be under anesthesia around 11, then Dr. Ain will start the surgery around noon.  She will be in Johns Hopkins Pediatric ICU for at least the first 24 hours, then will be in a private room afterwards.  Our family is extremely grateful to have been accepted to Johns Hopkins Children’s House during her surgery.  We will be going down on Tuesday afternoon, then one of us will be staying with Vivian in the Hospital, while the other stays at the House.

Surgery will last at least 5 hours from start to finish, and I will keep everyone informed in the mean time.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

Advertisements
This entry was posted on March 22, 2015. 4 Comments